Monday, August 22, 2016

Week 032 - A Branch Conference To Remember

Hey Cool Capos!
Presidente Ojera keeps telling me Capo is Spanglish, and that I get too much of it from Elder Ricra. Son… I know I pull the best Spanglish around. Argentina is totally Spanglish though. You can say bottle, and people know what bottles are.
Earlier this week we made our way to Santa Fe again for some passport shindig times. On the way, I had to stop by my favorite factura shop at the terminal. They’ve got churros with dulce de leche in them. I’ve decided when we go to Santa Fe it’s like going on vacation, and the number of facturas you get doesn’t really matter. Elder butler was there so we were catching up on all the good times.
The next day we went to Rosario.  Good times in Rosario… waiting around and getting more facturas (Rosario style). But of course we hit my favorite sandwich stop and... MILTONS! So lomitos on Elder Clayton! Vamos Rosario! Once again I totally forgot my camera. But the memories are still in my heart.
Sometimes it’s kind of lame having a English speaking companion because it’s too tempting to talk in English. And if you do, you forget sometimes you’re a missionary. Like when a whole car of ladies drives by screaming Hola, and you reply with a Hello. I totally did, and turned to my companion like, "uh yeah, I probably shouldn’t have done that."  Que va hacer. Es la vida.
It’s so funny when you have moments like this Rosario trip, when you get to talk to other missionaries about their great insights from their personal study. You know everyone’s personal study consists of, "What time it is in Kolob?" And, "The signs of the coming of Christ". Vamos personal study!
Another great day on Thursday with the old DO-NA-TO! He made us the dankest meal. The man starts going off on things, totally correct, that I never taught him. The power of actually reading the Book of Mormon.
This week I had one of those moments when you realize you are totally guided by the spirit. We tend to now have a lot of citas in our plans, so we'll make a list of people to go see in the morning, and on Friday we put Sandra Frutos (Mirta’s daughter) on the bottom of the list. Everyone else on the list fell through, and we went to Sandra’s house at 11:30, with her being the last on the list. She wasn’t home, but her son was, and he said he was taking care of the house. And so we talked to him about the Book of Mormon until we had to leave to get back to our apartment for lunch. As we were leaving, Mirta arrived with Sandra, who was having some serious stomach issues. They came to get her into her bed, and since we were there, we gave her a priesthood blessing. I have come to the conclusion that if we hadn’t put Sandra on the last of that list, she would not have received that blessing. And I told her that. And I hope she takes that as something important. Mirta is so funny… she was like, “I wasn’t too surprised when I saw the missionaries at the door waiting for us. It usually happens." So that was neat!
This last Saturday we spent the whole day inviting people, with invitations, to the branch conference we had on Sunday. All the members came with us, and members from Santa Tome. It was a good time. So we had the branch conference yesterday, and I think it was a conference to remember for the 4 members that came… how awesome they are! But there was like 20 people in total, with all the members from Santa Fe and Santa Tome. Sonia was confirmed as a member of the church, and it was a little bit of a surprise for the other members… but whatever.  Great lessons and talks were given especially by President Carlota, the Stake President. He gave a brief history of Galvez and all the work that has been put into the town in the last 10 years since it was reopened. But I was too happy to hear that he announced three other Open Chapels in the Santa Fe mission (reference the Rincon Open Chapel experience from last week), including the little garage chapel in Galvez. There is an incredible amount of hope for the Rama de Galvez right now. So the missionaries will be in charge of this next month. They haven’t really told us what plans need to be done, but it will be happening. Too neat… for real.
So mom… I need to figure this out… I have eaten too many pancakes here on the mission without syrup. Now maple doesn’t exist here… so…  Is there a way to make buttermilk syrup? That’s the question. I’m literally going to be the guy at the father and sons outings who is always making the pancakes. Everyone knows the pancake guy. And I’m proud to say that will be me. I TAKE MY PLACE AS PANCAKE GUY!
Dad I would love to read that autobiography of Parley P Pratt, if you can send that.
I love you guys, Houston is life!

No comments:

Post a Comment