Sunday, February 19, 2017

Week 057 - Watching What I Say Or What I Do

Hello,

I do appreciate a good word on kindness. I’ve been reading a lot of teachings and talks by Gordon B Hinckley, because he focusses a lot on charity, and being kind to others. He says, if we are sad, or stressed, or mad; it’s because we are being selfish, and we should take the remedy of kindness into our lives. And I have to think about that a lot as I try to not get fired up over others around me. Thinking about watching what I say or what I do. And it can sometimes feel like exhausting work.  But at the end of the day if we are not kind, we look at ourselves as we go to bed and realize we are not happy. I do think about that a lot in the mission field because it is a daily service, which should be daily kindness, and at times I get frustrated or mad, but that should not be the case, should it.
It was a pretty normal week, with a ton of rain. It’s crazy because the old people around here have some kind of rain power. And every time it rains they get all crazy and say "Hey boy! There’s a storm a brewing."  Oh yeah? What makes you say that? “Boy I feel it my bones" Oh Yeah? That makes sense. And then it rains later. Interesting. But I do hope that it is some kind of ability I can grasp onto as I grow older. Because it is important to strengthen our abilities, especially our super human abilities.
We´ve received a new Peruvian in our district, straight outta Lima. And he hasn’t really gotten use to the change in Argentinian accent, because he laughs and tries to correct me on every argentine term, or the way you say a word. For example, “New York” here would be pronounced "Nuevo Shork." And one time I was talking about Nuevo Shork, and every time he sees me, or is with me, he laughs and says “Nuevo Shork,” and everyone around, like members and such, are confused out of their minds.
I really enjoyed sacrament meeting yesterday, because the bishop and stake president spoke, about being self-sufficient spiritually. Which I guess the wards has been lacking lately. It was really awesome, because the stake president really knows how to throw down the hammer and give it to the members; while at the same time, have a comical smile. He read some scripture in the Book of Mormon that talks about how the judgment is near and then he said, "Yeah, that was 2000 years ago when the prophets said that; so get ready guys, we are getting close." Boom boom boom, he was just throwing down scriptures and fire all over the place. It was great. I love that kind of excitement. Especially the happy nodding and agreement Domingo was obviously showing next to me. He approved as he said, "Aww yes. The sin in the world is terrible."
Actually, Domingo got pretty fired up during the Sunday School class, because we were on the subject on the fall of Adam and Eve; which is kind of a complicated subject for others who are not Latter-Day Saints. Because what I’ve heard about a thousand times here, is that Adam and Eve are just the worst.  And so Lalo was teaching the class, and asked what we knew about Adam and Eve? And every recent convert in there, for some reason had no idea, “Yeah, I know nothing in this subject." But of course Domingo knew the answer, "THEY WERE SINNERS!"  Uh… anything else Domingo? "Nope." Then we talked about how Adam and Eve had to leave the presence of God, and he did not agree one bit, and said, "Lalo, if you’re going to teach the class, teach it right. Now let’s have one of these fine ladies tell us how it really is" (pointing over to the sister missionaries). That’s when you just have to give him the old thumbs up, and say, "Good job Domingo. Now let’s listen to the teacher."
By the way, I am totally jealous of your camping trip, and that the Bronco was able to handle the trip without a flaw. I know in the past, we for some reason, always had car troubles on our camping trips. But I look forward to having just the best camping breakfast made by Dad.
Check this… Recreo had some kind of festival, flea market, concert, going on in the plaza. It was totally cool because not much happens here, other than the circus of course; that was tender. But we went, hoping we could find some cool stuff. But everything was highly overpriced.  So we decided we would just buy french fries, which turned out to be highly overpriced as well. I might have to just stick with my own homemade fries; which I have to say, are coming along nice! There is a Canadian missionary, and he told me that in Canada they have "chip wagons." Which is like one of those portable hotdog stands, but sell fries with a bunch of different toppings. And you can just pile up your toppings. Another future idea, along with my empanada stand idea. So many options for the future.
I love you guys and miss you. Dad, have a great trip in Peru. I hear it’s great out there. Just stacked with llamas. I hear so much about llamas It’s ridiculous!
Elder Greene

No comments:

Post a Comment