Monday, March 6, 2017

Week 060 - A Top Secret Assignment To Go To Nowhere Land

I’m quite glad that you guys are getting a bit of the great weather we are also getting down here. Last week was a blast with the cool breezes we were getting. It was all dark clouds and no rain. Everyone kept thinking it was going to rain, except of course for the elderly people, and Jose the Curandero. I’ll catch you up later on the Curandero.
My companion and I were recently given a top secret assignment to go to nowhere land, and find a town called Candiotti. Because apparently there are members of the church that were kind of abandoned, and have yet to be seen in quite some time. So we had to make our way and look for the members. Which was actually quite easy, because it’s like a town with 400 people, and all you need to do is go to the first meat shop you see and ask where the Mormons are, and they’ll point you in the right direction. But in our search for the Mormons, I came across Jose the Curandero, AKA the Jesus Wizard. Curanderos are like evangelical wizards that think they are so spiritual that they have powers and such. I had not known of such a person until I met this guy. And when I shook his hand, he grasped it quite heavily, and shook my hand in the shape of a cross, while staring into my eyes, blessing me with a great future. He’s got a wife and kids, but his neighbors claim that he has hypnotized his wife, and she thinks she is in love with the Jesus wizard.
We actually had some trouble getting back and forth from Candiotti, because all the Indians that live between Recreo and Candiotti are furious that the government hasn’t put a crosswalk on the highway. I don’t think that actually works; and also they are not citizens of the country, so they don’t pay any taxes. Well anyway, the people are angry, and the Indians are blocking the highway with all their children playing soccer in the street, and drinking mate, with signs that say BASTA. So trucks are going off-roading, and the buses can’t pass. So the only solution is to hitch hike. And I’ll have to say, my first experience of hitch hiking was quite successful. We were able to get into the a red pickup truck owned by a 30 year old man, who obviously had not cut his hair or beard in over maybe 10 years. And we got a ride from him, along with two other old ladies trying to get to work. These two ladies were furious out of their minds about the "Indians." They kept asking, "You got any Indians in your country?" Don’t worry, we made it back just in time before the churro place closed.
Recreo was getting pretty hyped this past week, because I guess Brazil did their carnival party this last week, and so Recreo does their small version, for like one day. So the carnival came into town and stole all of our investigators. we came out on a beautiful Saturday , all hyped up on a morning facture, when we came to realize no one was home. They were all a little bit outside of town in the campo. We didn’t make our way over there but it sounded like a party all night.
We had a pretty great week though with our lessons. Actually, we had a lot of lessons where I felt pretty happy about how they went. We met a new family. Maria the mom and her two daughters Maiti, and Aldana. They are neighbors of Sergio and Rosia and they are always sitting in front of their house. So we went to talk to them and they really like the lessons. We taught them 4 times during the week, and they read the book of Mormon every day and prayed every day. The mom has Multiple Sclerosis, and so she can’t move much, but lately she has been in search of some peace and unity between her family. She says her family fights a lot, and she is not in a state to handle all of that drama. But before we came, she had prayed to God for help. After we came, she said she had felt more calm and more peace, and no one in her family has fought about anything. We have really focused in teaching them the blessings of the family. Her daughter Aldana came to church and really liked it. She said she wants to be baptized in April.
We are also teaching the sister of Sergio. Which means all of our lessons are super close by. She had come to all of the young womens activities, and so we are hoping she can get some motivation to go to church with Sergio and Rosia as she becomes friends with the young women.
We started an English and Portuguese class. We have 3 missionaries from the United States in our district so we can teach two classes per week and one Portuguese. I have to go to the Portuguese class so who knows I might come home with two new languages. But my companion wants everyone to come to the Portuguese class so there is this kind of battle between Elder Camps and Elder Jensen trying to get more people to come to their classes.
My companion is pretty smart and remembers names and streets and areas really fast. I have 6 months here and I don’t know the street names. So he´ll mention, "Hey, let’s go visit Jessica that lives in the Nobleza." And I’ll be thinking, "What in Satan’s fire is the Nobleza?"
I’m glad you guys are having a great week with grandma and grandpa! And my room is looking very nice. So I appreciate that, Katie.
Sorry I forgot to send you the address, but I can receive only packages through the office of the mission anyway; so you guys got the right address.
I love you all, and hope you have the greatest of weeks!
Elder Greene

No comments:

Post a Comment