Monday, March 14, 2016

Week 010 - The Iglesias Is Going To Be Filled

Awesome. Totally jealous of your good times. And Happy Birthday to you Mom. Pizza and donuts is a jolly good ole time. Katie makes some killer cakes, so that must of been good. Sounds like it was a great and happy birthday again. 

Oh the Hotfields. They are a good time as well. Through pictures and stories, they seem to be killing it wherever they go. Hopefully they got a little taste on why we moved there. Because Texas is for winners. Totally pumped to hear that Tommy put his mission papers in, that is really cool. Tell me where he’s going when you guys find out. 

And thanks a lot for sending me our other cousin’s email… Jared. I really enjoy his emails and his good times.

I love the story about Dad getting to bless the sacrament. I can’t believe all the different allergy breads you needed. We gotta figure out this weak stomach thing that’s been going on in America. I mean… the water here kills plants, and the people still drink it. I’ve slowly started drinking it, so then my body will be able to control anything. Actually, we are supposed to have this fresh water machine coming, and then we’ll drink from that; but it hasn’t come, so we are just drinking poison water. The thrill of drinking the water is incredible. Actually there’s this really cheap bread that everyone eats with everything (and I eat it too). But because people eat it so much, a lot of it gets stuck in people’s stomachs, and they have to get a surgery where they pretty much squeeze out all the bread in the stomach. Crazy right! It’s probably made with the same stuff as that Subway bread, with all the foam pad ingredients. 

Anyways, it’s turning into Fall here, and the mosquitos are buzzing, and the cockroaches are moving, and its great. For some reason the seasons are backwards here. I don’t know, some things are just not universal. Like daylight savings. Your right Dad, that is a lame tradition, and I don’t think it goes on here. At least I didn’t participate in it. Maybe I’m just an hour late to everything. Who knows. 

So... for e-mails and such, I go to this video game store.  It’s like the only place in all of Argentina with internet. We come early in the morning before all the big gamers show up after school. They’re kinda behind on all the technology stuff. Like I’m typing on a box computer, you know, the ones that aren’t flat. And they are two generations behind on their playstation systems. Come on guys, we are on playstation 4… not 2. Ha! Whatever. 

The weather here is getting better and better. I have not had another hot day like on that first night we arrived. Like it’s hot, but not as hot as people are trying to tell me it gets. Or maybe people just don’t know what hot truly is. But it’s been really nice. And since it’s been so nice, everyone has been up and at it. Everyone is running through the streets, especially children. Seriously…like little kids are just let loose without their parents. One little girl was riding through the streets on her little tricycle (like I said in my other email). Every man for themselves on the roads. Also, everyone seems to know each other, or everyone just loves to say “Hi” or “Ciao”. Ciao is like Hi and Goodbye. So a lot of times I have a hard time when I walk by people and they say “Bye” to me. I finally figured out it’s “Hi” too. 

For reals though... I think everyone is just plain nice.  And it’s because everyone has some sort of faith in Jesus Christ. Everyone is Catholic here, and the only people who get mad at us for knocking on their door or saying “Hi,” are the people who don’t believe in God. We met this funny guy, that I didn’t want to stop talking to because he was so funny. But he kept saying, "Nope. I only believe in myself." I was just like… “are you kidding me? What are you talking about.” But I think he was getting more and more mad as we were talking to him. "DIOS ES MUY BUENO." Ha. What a curious fella. 

My companion is funny because he gets very surprised when someone says they don’t believe in God, and he’s always like "Wow. Very interesting." We do a lot of contacting here door to door, because we don’t have a lot of members that we can get references from.  We seriously only have 5 members, so I’m always giving small talks about whatever is on my mind. Even though we only have 5 members (that show up), they all have crazy cool faith in the gospel. I mean you kinda have to... when you go to a church that no one in the area goes to.  We have a member who… every time he shakes your hand, he squares up like he is in the army, and gives you a firm handshake with his arm at a 90 degree angle. We are going to change things around here. You see. I’ve been having this vision that one day, the Iglesias is going to be filled, all 27 seats. That will be the day. 

Donato has been doing very well, we moved his baptism date to the 19th, and he really wants this. He is totally down with all the commandments. He can’t really see, so he can’t read the Book of Mormon, and he has a hard time saying prayers. But he wants it, and he wants a testimony. He’s such a capo. 

We actually have two other baptisms on the 19th. A younger guy, Raul, who has a wife and a kid. And another younger boy, Rafael, who is 11. His mom just became a member a couple of weeks ago, so that’s really good. Usually Galves has only two missionaries, but now it has 4, and Rafael and Raul live in the other two missionaries area of Galves. 

Like Donato, we had another capo we actually taught in the street. This was kind of funny. We saw Ricardo washing his car, and we were like, “you need some help?” And he was like, “no.” And then we were going to bail. But we stayed and talked to him, and my companion was like “you wanna hear a little message?” And he said “yes.” So I started talking in Spanish… just saying whatever I knew... and pretty much our little message turned into the whole first lesson (we should’ve just sat down), and we asked if he thought this message was true. He said yes. So while he was washing his car in the street I just pulled out the baptism question, and BOOOM, he was like “yah, this is something I wanna do!” Boom. Now Ricardo is getting baptized in April. What a capo. We are teaching him again today. That was probably the best car wash he’s ever had. He couldn’t come to church yesterday, but he said he would the next week. 

We are teaching another family... the family Chevrando (thats how I say it, and not sure if it’s spelled correctly). They are very cool, and they have a firm belief in Christ. But they don’t go to church. They like us a lot, so we’ve been going there a few times. Funny though… we asked them to be baptized 3 times during the lesson. Elder Ricra would explain the 1st lesson and ask "Do you believe this is true.” And they would say “yes." And Elder Ricra would ask them to be baptized, and they would say they are Catholic, and Elder Ricra did the same thing two more times. It was awesome, maybe one day they’ll understand. 

We have this other guy named Sebastion that we met two weeks ago, and he is so funny. We don’t progress with him at all, but he loves to compare beliefs. He’s kinda like one of those freelance guys, that believes everything because he’s really smart, and likes all sort of different ideas. But we explain a question he had through scripture, and Sebastion gets all excited about the scripture and compares it with some book or video he has.. He loves Monty Python and he knows that i think it’s kinda funny and i get a kick out of it, and it kinda influences him. Anyways we don’t go there often, only when we are hungry, because he’s way good at cooking and he makes us stuff. 

Anyways, it’s been a good week, and I totally miss you guys and your cool adventures in stupid ole Texas.

Elder Greene

P.S. I was wondering if you can send me Tyler Greene’s address and Ross Rubio’s email

No comments:

Post a Comment