Monday, March 28, 2016

Week 012 - The Perks Of Not Really Knowing Spanish


Hey Cute Fam
I’m loving your Easter good times.  Sorry I had to miss it.  I was too busy preaching the word. NO DAYS OFF.
All these Catholic Joes really hype up the Easter holiday around here, with parties and such, especially on Friday. Probably why it’s called a Good Friday. This one lady I talked to for a while was like, “so what do you do to prepare for Easter"? I was like, “uh, think of Jesus and open Easter eggs". Na.  But she was all confused on why I don’t put ash on my head, and fast French Fries for 40 days, then party on Good Friday. I think she’s got the wrong idea for celebrating the resurrection of the savior. I celebrated the savior cada dia son!
Church was funny because there were no talks about Easter on Sunday. The Branch President told me to talk about the priesthood, and Elder Hill was asked to talk about the importance of teaching the gospel. Don't worry. I gave a little testimony of love for Jesus in the end. I give a lot of talks here because of the low supply of members. It’s sweet, I love giving talks. It kind of gets your mind focused on things.
Anyways, I totally miss having a good Easter dinner. One of my favorite Easters was probably that one at Grandma and Grandpa Arnett’s home, with the adults all fighting over that egg with like 20 bucks in it. Whoever made a video of that Easter did a fine job, Probably Uncle Chris, Mr. Video Man.
Yeah, this mission has got me psyched out of my mind (imagine the angry elf from Elf). I talked about Ricardo a couple of weeks ago. Yeah, he’s totally lame, he’s been hiding from us, and all his friends told us he left town for life. Well, I’m sorry Ricardo that we scared you off so much that you had to make your friends into liars. But we had two new investigators who we taught twice, and they totally wanted it like Donato. Daniel Catolino and Ernesto. All three were making quite the friendship at church. Studs. Now we have two set dates for April for the two of them. Donato actually showed up for the lesson we had with Daniel when we asked him to be baptized and I asked Donato, "how did you feel after your baptism and received the Holy Ghost?” Donato after was like, "Oh no, I don’t have godfathers". Ah, come on Donato, "Get loose." It was kind of funny. And me and Elder Ricra joke about it all the time. Donato actually received the priesthood yesterday, and now can bless the sacrament. He just gets more studly every week. It’s totally crazy though, because we only met him 4 weeks ago.
People get so hyped up on soccer here. This past week was the Argentina vs. Chile game, and I don’t know what was going on, but our neighbor downstairs was hyped out of his mind. I swear, all of Galves could hear his dirty mouth. According to Elder Ricra he had a dirty mouth. It’s kind of one of the perks of not really knowing Spanish. Which by the way is going a lot better. I understand most people. Especially when I went on splits with Elder Hill who came to Argentina the same day as me. I think people just see two white American kids and starts speaking way slower. How nice.
I made a new friend the other morning. I’m always running by this guy’s house and he always says hi. So I say hi back. And this has gone on for a couple of weeks. But one day he comes up and talks to me and says "Gonzalo." I had no idea what that was, so I said, "uh yeah, si." His name is Jorge and he owns a carneceria. This is totally sweet because now we go there for our meats and he totally hooks us up! I asked for like 40 pesos of meat, and he gave me like 65 pesos of meat. We are going to teach him eventually, but I’m worried about losing our sweet hookups and good times in the park when he says hi.
So we’ve got this other missionary in Galves, and he was totally normal, until I was talking to him the other day and he started to explain to me about secret combinations and all that jazz in the Book of Mormon. And he showed me all of the scriptures he’s marked, and quotes by Ezra Taft Benson who has apparently spoken about this. But he’s totally obsessed about this, and that the Gadiaton Robbers are on their way back to take over the government and microchip us. I think it’s interesting, but I got scared when he said he has been “testified of Jesus Christ of this.” I was worried for my life then, thinking a huge thunderbolt was going to hit us.
We have so many of these old church videos and they are all in Spanish. Like the old cheesy videos. It’s awesome. So me and Elder Ricra watch those district videos about the missionaries, and Elder Ricra is so funny about it because he’s obviously seen them like thousands of times since this is his 19th month. So he’s always making fun of little mistakes in the videos, or little weird expressions the missionaries make sometimes. It’s actually kind of funny.
I’m too pumped for general conference. We get to go to Santa Fe for two days and see all the MTC buds. That's pretty neat. And watch GC in Spanish. I wonder what Uchtdorf’s Spanish voice sound like? I’ll have to let you know next week. I totally agree dad, about his talk, "The Gift of Grace" was a fantastic talk, and I totally find inspiration from it.
Miss you, and glad that you had another successful week, and Easter. Dad is killing it with all of these campouts. Get Emma to write me about her high school adventures, I want to hear. And tell Sarah congratulations; Erin Greenwood is totally going to that mission too.
Elder Greene
Almost forgot. We are always meeting Catholics and Jehovah's Witnesses, I love hearing from Jehovah’s Witnesses, because they totally think they are going to convert me every time they talk about the apocalypse. I have like 4 different books from these guys, and they all have super cool pics. But on Saturday we had a meeting with Lali, and I think I talked about him before but he is a retired pastor for Jehovah’s Witness, and he brought over a friend and they wanted us to ask them questions, because they believe they have the answer to all in their little books. So 30 minutes in I tell them to read the last verse in chapter 49 of Isaiah in their bibles. And it was so awesome because they both didn’t say anything for no joke like 5 min; reading quickly through Isaiah, and then Lali says " Isaiah is muy symbolico" oh you’re right!! But right after instead of us asking questions he started asking questions about the Book of Mormon. Pretty sweet.  So he reads the Book of Mormon, and we read his funny little books with animated pictures of Jesus. These pictures are dope!




No comments:

Post a Comment