Monday, April 25, 2016

Week 016 - Argentina Is About To Change

Way to kill it mom! After the exercise competition I bet you were just thinking “I feel happy of myself.” You’re awesome.
I’m pumped for this mother’s day so here is the dealio… it’s on! Mother’s day is the 8th. I don’t know what I’m doing yet, because I’m not really sure where we are doing it yet. We have to find somewhere that has internet and a camera. Tricky around here in Galves. I’ll know by next week.
Chris and Madison’s wedding looked way awesome. What a power couple. I was watching a video a couple weeks ago on the Provo Tabernacle Temple. It looks very cool and woody on the inside. The Arnetts are a good time.
Mom sent me a pic of the other power couple. Emma and her "beau"(in the words of Emma). Awesome! I’ve been trying pass off with the president to get a girlfriend on the mission. I learned in Rosario that you can watch Disney movies and listen to regular music on P days. So why not Argentinian girlfriends on P day. Only on P days though.
So I’ve learned I’ve been slacking the whole mission. Elder De La Rosa has totally taught me the ways. They sell these giant donut holes with sugar for like 5 pesos. And also, Argentinians sells these delicious treats called alfajors. It’s like a layered mooncake with dulce de leche in each layer. So it’s not actually a mooncake because it’s actually good. And there are like thousands of different kinds. And they have them at every little kiosco (store). So I’m collecting all the wrappers, and at times they sell like limited edition ones. I’m so pumped to catch them all. Alfajors (in the words of my companion) are "the only good thing about Argentina". But this is “about to change” in the coming years. Randomly people tell me this same thing. Because people assume I’m from America. And as "Obama was here!" … "Yea yea he was.”… I didn’t really get what they were talking about. But I learned that Obama was actually here, because Argentina does like no trade with any other country other than the ones around it like Chile. So now they are going to start to do some trade with America. Which means Papa John's will be coming, and Skippy’s peanut butter, and everyone’s going to realize what I have been eating my whole life. Now I understand why Argentina only has fruit stands and carnecerias. Though nothing will really change for years.
So check this… this is also one of the great things about Argentina. Quinceinetas. I thought this was just a big shebang for those 15 year old girls. Nope. It’s so much greater. So around here in Galves, when their kid turns 15, they throw a party. Then they find the closest mud puddle, and throw the kid. After that, everyone goes and grabs eggs, tomatoes, flour, feathers, and throw them all over the little girl. Then the big finale… they go grab a bucket of slop they have prepared for her, and then throw it at her. Then, she goes and gets cleaned up and everyone eats cake. It’s kind of a "welcome to the world and get some dirt kicked in your face kind of ritual." I didn’t believe it when this family was first telling me about it; but this week we were talking with some cool kids down the block (we like see these same kids everywhere). They were all excited, and we were like" yo... what’s happening capos." and they said "we just got back from a quincenieta, and the girl just got totally wrecked, yea and got so much crap thrown a her.” So I believe it now. I think it’s supposed to be some kind of a cheaper party. Anyways que copado.
Also check this out. What’s cool about a small town like Galves is that you get to hear superstitious stories. One is about the white spirit lady that "lures the field workers with her beauty" to the outskirts of the fields, and they disappear and never come back. So don’t be alone when you are working out in the field. There is also a man dressed all in black that has a chain around his neck and takes people off with his chain to the outskirts of the fields. Sounds like the white lady and the black man are working together on this one. But I heard another story of random people who see "a giant black, really black, like totally black person" that walks around the field. Whhaaaaaaat?... You know it sounds like CAIN to me too. Cain is living in Argentina right now, and has found himself a chain, and a white spirit lady, and they are in cahoots.
Anyways… it turns out my companion is also way good at cooking. He’s cooked for his family every day of his life. So we made good sauces and stuff for our pastas.
Thank Uncle Chris for me for the sweet tune-up on the tandem bike. It’s a good one.
Love you guys. You are awesome.
P.S. Is that really a thing (mom), that mosquitos like people with sugar blood? Because I have a lot of sugar blood right now.  Na… not as much as these other jokers in Argentina.
Love you. I’m out!

No comments:

Post a Comment