Monday, May 2, 2016

Week 017 - Yeah, Mormons are Jehovah’s Witness

Hey fellas! I’m giving the thumbs up to Katie right now. I just read an awesome story about Katie and her audition for the school talent show. I’m going to plaster that story in my journal of really cool things. For reals though, that was so funny. 

It feels really great to get my picture up on the Kingwood Stake wall of missionaries. By the way, in that picture I am not wearing pants, and it was like 6 in the morning, and I had to take a quick pic of my upper body in a suit for the mission application.
So this week was fantastical! We had a record breaking 19 people at church, if you count the two babies. So … record breaking 17 people. With all the members, four investigators, four children of Gregoria, and Ebelia, a less active member. Vamos Galves! And it was the first Sunday of the month, so we all got to bear our testimonies. Testimony meetings are awesome here, because usually everyone has to go, because there is more than enough time to do it. Also, we found three new investigators, so we got to teach like 4 lessons!
Vamos … no more walking! I swear I’m killing it with my steps. I only learned from the best though … to Mom who kills it with her steps.
It is totally turning to fall here.
Donato is doing awesome. He’s such a capo, because the thing is … he can’t read, and he needs glasses, and he doesn’t have money to get new ones. So we read to him every once in a while.  So far he has only read like 7 chapters. The other day we read chapter 8, and he says, “oh yeah, I read that one.” I was like … “what?” He said, “yeah I can read, but it takes me a long time.” I asked how long. He said, “about an hour.” He read chapter 8 for an hour, and he said it was true. This guy comes to church every Sunday, and seminary every Wednesday; where he can barely hear the speakers, and with his Book of Mormon that he can barely read. And he sits there, because he knows the church is the church of Jesus Christ. That’s awesome.
We have awesome weather. The trees are changing, and people are bringing out the fireplaces. And it’s chilly, Vamos.
Ok … so my companion is hilarious. He speaks awesome English, but he can’t pronounce things. So he talks like the "ohmergersh" chick. Yesterday he was talking about all his girlfriends that are waiting for him and he says, "all mi geeerfrenss."
So I broke this lady the other day. She’s the mother of our new instigator, who wasn’t home, and I asked her to read a couple verses. She starts to read and gets to the words “mi pueblo" and then repeats “mi pueblo" for no joke, like five minutes. I had to turn to my companion and whisper "what is going on?" He was like, "I don’t know." So we waited it out and she finally stopped. Then my companion asks, "so... what do you think of this scripture?” Her reply was Bueno, “exactamente this is a bueno verse.”
A lot of people who are Catholic, or who don’t believe in God, have a lot of great responses when we come to the door. My favorite this week was, "Religion? I don’t even believe in myself." Then she went inside. Or the guy that just does the cross on his chest and then closes the door. I guess everyone thinks we are Jehovah’s Witness, even though we say the Church of Jesus Christ. This one guy responded and said "oh Jehovah’s Witness" and I was like, "no, The Mormons." And then he was like, "yeah, Mormons are Jehovah’s Witness". C’mon!
I got to go on divisions with another Elder the other day, and he is really new, and his Spanish is not that great. I know this because I got to teach someone in his area, and I turned to him during the lesson for him to says something during the first lesson. This was his response "Si, usted esta bien, Yo esta bien, la iglesia es verdadero." Exactamente Elder! So pretty much… "Yes you are good, I am good, the church is true!”
So you know how I started collecting Alfajor wrappers. I also have a new collection. I can’t believe I never knew this before, but in the cookie bags there are stickers. Only certain kinds of galletas have them. But those are the only galletas worth getting. So now I have a nice collection starting up in my journal of Kung Fu Panda 3 stickers. Sick!
I love you guys; you are awesome, finish off the school year great.
Elder Greene.
P.S. For this Mother’s Day, I’ll be calling you on Skype, and I don’t have a specific time. We are going to be in Santa Fe and we need to find computers. But I think it’s going to be like 10 to 12 California time. I don’t have the precise time but I want to say I will call you then. So, if you can find a way to download Skype and send me your Skype address, that would be awesome. I think you can do it on your phone. I can get on email when I’m about to call you. So I’ll send you a message right before or something or I can do that on Skype. But yeah… for clarification … I’ll be calling you on Skype. Make an account and send me a message through email with the Skype account name.
Alfaljors vamos.


City scene at Ciesta time.



No comments:

Post a Comment