Monday, January 16, 2017

Week 053 - Time To Take Down A Pepsi Max And Prepare Them To Get Baptized

Wowzers! It’s MLK Day. Thanks for the reminder. Now I’ll have to go make a shake of my own, because people don’t really know how to make a good milkshake around here. I’m glad you guys get the day, I already kind of get the day off because it’s Monday, so I’ll probably go take a nap or something. Not much to do here in Recreo, but drink Pepsi and nap. But I love that.
Sorry I had to leave you with a cliff hanger last week, but Friday was a total success. Sergio and Rosia had an appointment to be married in the government building here at 9:30 in the morning. So we went, and some of their family members. We were the 2 witnesses. So I had a nice view of everything going on and had to answer questions about the couple. About whether or not they had been married before, or if they were brother or sister. As far as I was concerned, they were not. But it was great. And then we took pictures and everyone was psyched. Super good times.
Later Elder Ramos and I prepared kind of a "reception" for them in the afternoon. We had been trying to get members to come all week. I guess they got busy playing soccer or something. I’ll send you some sweet picks. We got balloons, tunes, food. It was all ready. I came away feeling pretty successful. We had two members give a few words about marriage and family. Sergio and Rosia gave a few words to their family. Especially Rosia, because in response to what they were hoping for in the marriage, she responded with "Following Christ to receive unity and happiness in the family." I thought that was cool.
And then we blessed the food and had a jam fest. We had to make a playlist, so I made sure to get some of the greats in there. Of course we had the Argentinian faves such as cumbia. Modern day cumbia such as Rombai and Marama and Toco Para Vos. Look them up if you want some sweet Argentine jams. If you know who Rombai is, you become the coolest person in town… you just pop into somebody’s house and yell “Rombai”, and everyone is down to talk to you.
I made sure to put in some of the greats… Forever - Chris Brown, Will You Still Love Me- Chicago, Yeah 3x - Chris brown, Forever Young - Alphaville, and Sky Full Of Stars - Coldplay. Classic. When Forever came on, everyone was asking who was singing, I told them Chris Brown and almost everyone came with the same reply, "Oh, el negrito." Exactly, the little black guy.
It was pretty great, and we got to know a lot of their family, and they got to know a little about the church and the importance of family. We actually had a few people come up to us and ask us to pass by their house, which was cool.
Yeah, that was our super-duper cool week. We spent most of the time teaching Sergio and Rosia during the week and preparing them for Friday. I got to talk to Sergio at the end of the wedding day, and he was kind of nervous about the whole marriage previously. I asked him how he felt after, and he said that it already happened so what’s there to worry about now. But he said some things that I really appreciated, which was that he and Rosia are always talking about how they feel pretty happy and calm when we come over to teach them, and that is something they would like to feel all the time. So it was a great week.
Now it’s just time take down a Pepsi Max and prepare them to get baptized. I’m lovin it!
I hope you guys have a great week. Killing it. Especially since dad gets to stick around!
Elder Greene











No comments:

Post a Comment