Monday, May 29, 2017

Week 070 - I Hit Life... Now Life's Hittin Me Pappi

Wow

It was really great to talk to the fam yesterday, I super glad that you’re all doing well, and that mom had a great mother’s day. Mother’s days are the best. Well, moms are the best. Right? But its way better to talk face to face, than in a bunch of emails. Even though we got to talk, I didn’t really get to all my great stories from last week.
Our area is really great here because there’s a ton of people to teach, and so we have been pretty busy with lessons. A lot of the people actually read the scriptures, so it’s been the first in my mission where I’ve used the bible alongside of the Book of Mormon to teach. Normally when I ask people if they read the bible they respond with, "Oh, uh, you mean the word of god?" Yes. “Yeah, I listen to my prophet at church, so I get it." Oh, ok. And then we learn that they don’t really get it. So teaching people who know a bit of the scriptures is fun.
We are teaching this totally white family that do not fit in with their neighborhood, but are totally cool. The first house I’ve been to that has a microwave. That’s neat. But they’ve got a crazy mix of religions. There’s the parents and two of their kids that live in their house and each believe in something different. We teach them all at the same time, but they all have their own idea on religion, god, or no god. The son is totally atheist, but believes Satan is real, but respects Satan’s space, no witchcraft or anything. And the mom is die hard Adventist. All she wants to talk about are Saturdays, "the holy day". The mom is always giving some kind of passive aggressive talk to her son because his belief doesn’t really make any sense. Anyways, they’re fun and give us doughnuts all the time. But don’t really progress as investigators of the church.
So if you don’t really know, there are people who are always juggling in the middle of the street at stop lights. So while people are waiting, they can get a good show. And sometimes these jugglers get money. Anyways, we are walking down the street and one of these juggler fellas yells for us, "EY JESUS PREACHERS COME OVER HERE." Well I guess I’m the Jesus preacher. And so we go over and he wants us to say a prayer to his friend who is sitting on a bench in a close by park. So we go, and it turns out his friend is a 70 year old man that fell of his bike while he was drinking with the juggler, and broke his ribs, two hours earlier. "Well,did you call an ambulance?" I said. He says, "Yeah. But the police don’t really listen to me." Alright. So we gave this guy a blessing and called for an ambulance. And this old man is in a lot of pain, so he’s all in my face saying, "OH DADDY. OH DADDY. OH DADDY." And then whispers into my ear "I hit life... NOW LIFE’S HITTIN ME PAPPI." Anyways, he’s alright, but they left us with their bikes, so we had bikes for an entire day until we had to give them back.
Another bike story. I was on divisions with my good ole pal Elder Andrew right. And they have bikes to get around town. And so we stop at this house just to knock on the door for like 2 min. and seriously some kind of phantom robbed Elder Andrew’s helmet, out of nowhere, without a trace. I was impressed. Anyways, disappointed as we were, we were still able to find the culprit. Who actually was just a 12 year old id from two blocks down the street. I saw it and said, “Hey, I think that’s the helmet.” Right as that happened, the kid sees us and drops the helmet behind his feet as if we couldn’t see it. Elder Andrew goes up and asks, “Hey, I think that’s my helmet." And this kids face was totally awesome. And not knowing really what to say, he says, "Uh wait, no way. This is your helmet?" “Uh yeah. Can I have it back?” "Sure man." Then he just ran off. Apparently the helmet business is good lately, and kids just steal bike helmets all the time and try sell them, because kids are always asking the missionaries, "Hey you want to buy this helmet?" They know that the missionaries are the only ones that wear helmets.
South Americans are total fanatics for the Simpsons. It’s on in every house.  But what I think is the most asked question I get from people… "Is Springfield a real place?” Springfield is where the Simpsons live, and I just tell them yes, because it makes everyone happy. And happy people are great.
I love you guys, and I am thankful that I could talk to you yesterday.

Elder Greene

No comments:

Post a Comment