Monday, June 6, 2016

Week 022 - Toma Te La Avion Shankey

Hey Family!
I’m totally jealous that summer is hitting you guys, I feel like I’ve been in winter forever...because I have, it’s getting totally cold here. Who knew? And I can’t figure out Celsius. People are going nutz because it’s supposed to be 0 degrees, as in Celsius. Still cold though.  
Galvez has been pretty chill this week. Everyone is inside because it’s cold. And when it’s cold,  it also means no one comes to church.  We had one member this past Sunday.  We went to go visit all the others after, and they all said the same thing "do you realize how cold it is outside?" Yah, I know, I’m walking in it every day. The dogs are still out... with clothes on. Everyone’s putting ropa on the dogs because  "Dogs are people too"... “perros con ropa.” I laugh every time. “If dogs were people too,” according to Mr. Gaucho man, “los chinitos are eating people every day.” I actually don’t know the Gaucho´s name, and we are afraid to ask at this point in our relationship, but he’s talking about “los chinitos" (little Asian people) all the time. He’s actually pretty smart.  Hopefully he’s smart with his asado too.
We recently ate some steak and pasta with Donato, and after we ate it he said, "Hopefully you guys don’t get sick because I’ve never made this before… I don’t know what I would tell the president if you guys were dead.” Donato is pretty funny. I’ve started making a journal of quotes from other Elders and members, and Donato has a lot. Here’s a few of my favorites:  One time when he was talking about how girlfriends are the worst because all they want you to do is buy them stuff and take them to the club, and then he said after, "toma te la avion chica!" (take the plane girl).
“Toma te la" is my favorite Argentinian phrase. The closest thing to English is probably "get outta here", "take a hike", "I don’t care"
A few more Donato quotes:  1. "Sometimes the animals are smarter than the Catholics."  2. "That’s crazier than a bag of cats."
One things that is totally popular here right now are the Minions, from Despicable Me.  And they are everywhere…  in stores, cars, motorcycles. I was asking my companion, “hey what’s up with all the Minions?” And he was like, "What do you mean?" And I was like, "They are everywhere." And he said, "Because the minions are cool.".... Exactly. Why didn’t I think of that? The Minions are totally cool.
Another thing I’ve been noticing that has become pretty popular is San Muerte… This is nutz…, San Muerte is another Saint… but he is a Saint in disguise. He’s the Saint of Death.  And the reason he is so popular, is because when you pray to him things actually happen and people hear things. People are literally praying to Satan in disguise.  We are teaching this guy, and when we started teaching him he was all in it, all in on everything. He told us San Muerte told him to join any church, and a week later he receives another answer that he is to join any church other than our church.  But he’s all confused about it because he likes the lessons and the church. After he received another answer that San Muerte said, “Alright join the church, and then leave it after you are baptized." It’s really weird… the whole thing. We haven’t seen him for a while, and his family said he left town. So whoa... watch out for those crazy San Muerte lovers.
Recently I’ve been getting really fancy with the foods. Totally made me some pancakes and French Toast. The only problem is that maple syrup extract doesn’t exist here. I’ve been to so many places, and once I bring up maple syrup,  they have no idea what I’m talking about. "Toma te la avion, shankey." Whatever… I use honey instead.
I got a lady that hooks me up recently for like 3 dollars… I bought the biggest bag of cheese puffs. Living the life.
Anyways overall the work is awesome, the people are awesome. The work has gone a little slow the past couple weeks,  but it’s The Church of Jesus Christ.  No worries!
Love you all, good luck and have a fun summer!!!
There are ghost watching me.








No comments:

Post a Comment